In an ideal world we would obtain all of our nutritional requirements from our diet without needing to take food supplements. Unfortunately, food production nowdays is far from idea! Depleted soils, lengthy transport and storage times, exposure to light and processing are just some of the factors which influence the nutritional value of food.
Our nutrient requirements also tend to increase when we are stressed, exercising intensely, unwell or after surgery for instance. Sometimes these requirements are not met by diet alone and we may benefit from high quality supplements. For example, several studies have documented the benefits of multivitains and minerals in reducing occupational stress and anxiety in addition to improving psychological well being.(²-³)
3 High Quality Food Supplements!
As a Nutritional Therapist I spend many hours reviewing and comparing supplements so that I can recommend the best products to my clients. When choosing a food supplement I look for purity, bioavailability and the concentration of the nutrients.
I prefer to choose supplements without binders, fillers and excipients as I do not believe that ingredients such as corn starch, talc, sucrose and carageenan have a place in nutritional supplements.
I also look for natural rather than synthetic vitamins and minerals. For example, I prefer Vitamin B12 as natural form methylcobalamine rather than synthetic cyanocobalamine. The same goes for folate so my preference is for one of the natural forms of folate such as methylfolate as opposed to folic acid.
This refers to the ability of a nutrient to be absorbed, retained and ulitised by the body. We need to be able to absorb nutrients from a supplement for our body to be able to make use of it otherwise it will just be excreted.
These are 3 high quality food supplements that I take myself and recommend to my clients.
1. Terranova Living Multinutrient Complex
I often take this supplement myself and I recommend it to many of my clients as is a well balanced multivitamin & mineral derived from phytonutrient rich foods and botanicals. The carefully chosen synergistic blend of nutrients enhances bioavailability and it is bursting with anti inflammatory antioxidants.
* Well balanced multinutrient formula for gentle daily support
* Packed full of wholefoods and botanicals including spirulina, wheatgrass, acai, dandelion, nettle, turmeric
* 100% Vegan
* No fillers, binders or other excipients
* Free from soy, yeast, dairy, gelatine, sugar, colours, flavours and preservatives
* Living Multivitamin Men, Sport and Women formulas are also available
2. Pure Encapsulations O.N.E Multivitamin
I was fortunate to be given a sample of this supplement at a time when I had been feeling unusually fatigued. I can honestly say that after about a week of taking it I noticed a significant increase in my energy levels. Rarely have I seen so many therapeutic doses of vitamins and mineral packed into one easy to swallow capsule!
* Convenient one a day capsule
* Extremely comprehensive providing therapuetic doses e.g 25mg zinc citrate, 200mcg chromium picolinate
* 2000 i.u. Vitamin D
* Additional antioxidants including alpha lipoic acid, lutein, lycopene, xeaxanthin
* Natural form nutrients e.g selenium as selenomethionine, B12 as methylcobalamine
* Hypoallergenic – a great food supplement for sensitive souls because the formula is simple yet effective
* Contains lower levels of B Vitamins than many multi’s which is beneficial for people who have adverse reactions to high dose B Vitamins.
3. Kiki Health Nature’s Living Superfood Organic Blend
This is a versatile, pleasant tasting food supplement bursting with organic, alkalising superfoods. It contains nutritional gems such as wheatgrass, barley grass, spirulina, chlorella, amla fruit, kale, broccoli and parsley. What I particularly love is the addition of probiotics and enzymes to the formula to enhance bioavailability. I am also really impressed that it doesn’t contain additives such as sweeteners. I have tried many superfood powders and so many of them leave an unpleasant aftertaste from the sweeteners. In contrast, this organic superfood powder tastes clean and fresh.
Supplements should not be a substitute for a balanced, nutritious diet. However, if you are having one of those days where you just can’t fit in enough fruit and veg, this is a great supplement to have handy! It is also a fantastic daily nutrient boost. I use it in smoothies or simply mixed with water.
* Organic formula packed with alkalising, cleansing, antioxidant rich superfoods
* Contains enzymes and probiotics to facilitate digestion and absorption
* Pleasant tasting powder which dissolves easily
* Versatile – can be mixed with water, smoothies , sprinkled on salads
* No artificial colours, preservatives, sweeteners, binders or fillers
Thank you for reading “3 High Quality Food Supplements”. If you enjoyed this article you may also be interested in my other Blog Articles
¹Amihud Kramer, Effect of storage on nutritive value of food; Journal of Food Quality 1(1):23 – 55 · May 2007 https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1745-4557.1977.tb00998.x