In the last few days several clients have asked what homeopathic remedies and supplements I would recommend to help protect against Coronavirus (COVID-19). There re so many options available to us that I am dividing my answer into two articles. The first is about strengthening your resistance with Homeopathy, and the second will be about the use of supplements including vitamins and minerals, herbs and other neutraceuticals.
As I am sure you are aware, COVID-19 has now been declared a pandemic by the WHO and, understandably there is tremendous fear and anxiety about the situation. However, we can only succumb to a virus if we are susceptible. It is reassuring to know that we are equipped with a highly sophisticated immune system which, most of the time, does an outstanding job of protecting us from viruses. The more we strengthen and nourish our immune system, the greater our resilience. Homeopathy is one of the tools that we can use to strengthen our resistance.
I am keeping up to date with the situation and reports are coming in from Homeopaths around the world who are assisting people with symptoms COVID-19. They are reporting that the most indicated remedies at the moment are Arsenicum Album, Bryonia, Gelsemium, Lycopodium, Mercurius, Kali Carb, Phosphorus, Eupatorium Perf and Ant Tart. The remedy required depends on the symptoms of the person infected and on the stage of the illness.
Homeopathy in Epidemics
Homeopathy has a well established history of efficacy in epidemics. The 1918-1920 influenza pandemic was the most devastating worldwide epidemic that has ever been recorded, killing between 50 and 100 million people. It claimed more lives than World War I and more people died of influenza in a single year than in four-years of the black-death bubonic plague that swept through Europe from 1347 to 1351. The mortality rate of the 1918 influenza pandemic was about 30% with most people dying from pneumonia after contracting influenza. However, the death rate in people treated with homeopathy was dramatically lower. For example, the American Institute of Homeopathy (AIH) reported that 88 physicians treated 26,795 patients with a loss of 273 cases, a mortality of 1.02%. Many more detailled reports can be found in André Saine’s referenced debate paper about the quality of homeopathic medicine, dated March 28, 2013.
Homeopathic treament was also extremely effective in during Typhus Fever (1813), Cholera (1831, 1854 and 1855), Diptheria (1862-1864). Reports show that the mortality rates in patients treated with Homeopathy were considerably lower for all these illnesses compared with conventional treatment.
The primary preventative methods are of course washing your hands etc. I will not go into these recommendations here as they are widely available on the internet and you probably know by now how important they are.
Prevention Using Homeopathy
Homeopathy is a versatile system of medicine so, when it comes to prevention, there are many different approaches amongst Homeopaths. It is important to note that I am not claiming that Homeopathy can prevent COVID-19. However, I would like to share with you the remedy that myself, my family and friends are using. That remedy is Anas Barbaraie 200c, also known as Oscillococcinum in Europe. It is a remedy which is well known in homeopathic circles as it has the potential to protect against viruses such as infuenza. This remedy was also recommended by Robin Murphy ND in his recent webinar.
Anas Barbarie is a remedy that I take whenever I feel I may have a virus such as cold or flu. I take it three times daily for a couple of days and it usually stops the illness in it’s tracks. As a precaution I have taken Anas Barbaraie a couple of times in the last 2 weeks. I haven’t needed to take it often as we live in the countryside which is sparsely populated. However, I have advised my family and friends to take it twice daily for 3 days as a potential preventative and to repeat this if they develop any symptoms or are in contact with anyone who has COVID-19.
Homeopathy is the primary system of medicine for about 100 million people in India and Arsenicum Album 30c has been recommended as a prophylactic for 2019n-Cov by the AYUSH Ministry of the Government of India. Dr Batra’s clinics in India are distributing the medicine free of charge throughout India. AYUSH are recommending Arsenicum Album 30c once daily for three days repeated after a month if needed.
Aconite (Aconitum Napelus)
Aconite is included in the remedy section below, however, I would also classify it as a potetial preventative because, if it is indicated and taken early enough, it can stop the progression of colds and flu’s. Aconite is indicated for the sudden onset of high temperature, flushed face, frequent sneezing, runny nose, dry, red sore throat with intense thirst. I recommend taking Aconite 200c, repeating it after about 30 minutes and again after another hour.
I can not say that Aconite will work for 2019-nCov as I have not treated anyone with the virus. However, my clients and I have successfully used it countless times to nip a cold in the bud and 2019-nCov is a cold virus.
Homeopathic Medicines To Help Resolve Symptoms
Homeopathic medicines work best if you can take them as soon as possible following the onset of symptoms. A great way to have immediate access to homeopathic remedies is to purchase a homeopathic kit.
In this section I have included remedies which may be indicated during the early stages of 2019-nCov. Some cases of 2019 nCov progress to pneumonia, however, I have not included those remedies here. Pneumonia is a serious condition for which I would not recommend self prescribing unless you are very experienced in using Homeopathy. When choosing a homeopathic remedy, select the remedy which most closely resembes the presenting symptoms. It is unlikely that a person will have all of the symptoms listed under the remedy indications. However, usually at least 3 of the symptoms usually need to be present to justify the remedy. If none of the remedies below are indicated, please contact myself or another professional Homeopath for assistance.
Aconite (Aconitum Napellus)
As you can see, the indications for Aconite are symptoms which are frequently found during the initial stages of cold and flu viruses. My clients and I find Aconite to be an outstanding remedy for helping to prevent the progression of colds and flu (if taken during the very early stages when the following symptoms are present):
- Sudden onset of symptoms, especially after exposure to cold.
- High temperature with a flushed face.
- Frequent sneezing and runny nose
- Dry, red sore throat and intense thirst.
- Worse at night and may be restless and anxious.
- Shortness of breath with sweat and anxiety – must sit up
- Hoarse, dry, barking, croupy cough – worse inspiring, at night, drinking and from lying on either side
- Oppressed breathing
- Palpitations with anxiety and fast pulse
Gelsemium was the main remedy prescribed by Homeopaths during the 1918 influenza pandemic. It is a remedy that I use very frequently in my practice as it is often indicated in influenza like viruses as well as in chronic conditions such as chronic fatigue syndrome. Several well known Homeopaths, including Paul Herschu, have found Gelsemium to be one of the remedies which
- feeling of heaviness with aching muscles
- dull headache, heavy eyes, flushed face
- chills and shivering up and down the spine
- limbs feel aching tired, heavy and sore
- weakness with trembling
- pass water frequently which may alleviate the headache
- light-headed and dizzy
The key guiding symptoms for prescribing gelsemium are dizziness, drowsiness, dullness and trembling
According to Homeopaths from around the world, Bryonia is one of the top remedies to consider for 2019-nCov at the moment.
- bursting, splitting headache which is worse on motion, even just moving the eyeballs
- dry, hacking cough which is extremely painful and shakes the whole body
- needs to support the sides, chest or head when coughing
- cough worse at night, after eating and drinking, on enetering a warm room
- sharp stitching pains in the chest
- breathlessness, rapid breathing and the sensation of not being able to expand the chest
- hot, read face
- dry lips and mouth
- excessive thirst for large quantities
- weariness and heaviness of the limbs
- weakness and apathy
- irritability, especially if disturbed
One of the key indications for Bryonia is that the cough is extremely painful. This helps to differentiate it from other remdies. Aggravation from movement is also keynote of Bryonia. Remaining still may ease the symptoms but as soon as they need to move they feel worse.
Homeopathy is the primary system of medicine for about 100 million people in India and Arsenicum Album 30c has been recommended as a prophylactic for 2019n-Cov by the AYUSH Ministry of the Government of India. Dr Batra’s clinics in India are distributing the medicine free of charge throughout India.
The symptoms that Arsenicum treats bear a close resemblance to the syptoms of 2019-NCov. Arsenicum Album has a very strong affinity with the lungs and is especially indicated for the elderly. Interestingly, Arsenicum is a major remedy for anxiety about health, which is being promoted via the media hype.
- Dry cough which is worse after midnight, on lying down, going into cold air and when drinking
- Suffocative attacks during sleep
- Breathlessness especially from coughing, motion or lying on the back
- Mucus can be frothy, white yellow, green, streaked with blood
- Anxiety about health
- Debility, weakness and exhaustion
- Likely to feel restless even though exhausted
- Thirst for small sips of water
- Intermittent fever
- Feels very chilly externally with heat internally
- Tickly cough aggravated by cold air, talking, laughing, lying on the back and strong odours
- Hard, wheezing, dry, painful, tickling, hacking cough with retching
- Tightness accross the chest and the feeling of a great weight on the chest
- The cough, stitches in the chest and tighness of the chest are all aggravated by lying on the left side
- Burning pains and heat in the chest
- Inflammation of the lungs with cracking, rattling souds
- Mucus may be transparent (in the morning after rising) , rusty, grey, frothy, salty or cold, tasting sour or sweet
- Profuse sweat at night, during sleep, in the morning in bed and on slight exertion
- Chills alternating with heat at night
- Painful larynx with hoarse voice
How To Take Homeopathic Medicines
- put the remedy under your tongue and let it dissolve
- for babies you can crush the remedy or ask the pharmacy for soft lactose pillules
- take the remedy when you don’t have any strong taste in your mouth as strong flavours like mint and coffee can antidote homeopathic remedies
- avoid peppermint tea, chewing gum and mints whilst taking homeopathic medicines
- store the remedies away from light, strong odours , mobile phones, computers and microwaves
- take 1 pillule and see what relief it brings. If you start to feel better do not repeat the dose unless the symptoms stop improving at which point you can take another dose. If the synptoms change significantly you may then need a different remedy.
- you may need to take the remedy quite frequently at first e.g every 30 minutes – 1 hour for a few doses. A typical dose for cold and flu like viruses is 3 times daily.
Where To Purchase Homeopathic Medicines
The Natural Dispensary:
You can take advantage of 15% off at The Natural Dispensary using code TA015
The Helios Basic Kit contains several of the remedies mentioned in my article including aconite, arsenicum, bryonia and gelsemium.